Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tarte with spinach


Here's a tasty and easy recipe that can be served on all occasions. It's one of my favorite recipes that accompanies me for almost 20 years having always a huge success.

I thought of combining the tarte with the napkin ring "DAISY". Daisy is made of galvanized aluminum wire and a wooden painted pearl; the tarte and Daisy evoke in me a feeling of simplicity, so I find them in harmony on my table. Click here to shop for them.

The spinach tarte is certainly a recipe passe-partout: as a main course, it can be served hot on a bed of salad; as an accompaniment of an aperitif, it's delicious warm, cut into small squares; finally, served at room temperature, is ideal for a picnic in the countryside.


I usually prepare the tarte the day before, in order to have time to devote to its presentation: in my opinion a white or light tint shallow plate will be perfect. If on the other hand you want to give a touch of joy to the table, then I suggest to use a colored or fantasy plate.
This recipe is unpretentious but at the same time tasty and fragrant. Certainly it will stimulate your imagination for an original presentation: your own!

Time: 20 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake. Kcal per person: 330

Preheat the oven: 200 C (400 F)

For 6 person you'll need:
-1 ready made roll dough (pâte brisée)
-ricotta cheese 250 g - 8,5 oz (ricotta is a fresh and creamy white cheese, slightly sweet in taste, that contains around 5% fat. It is somewhat similar in texture to some cottage cheese variants, though considerably lighter.)
-2 eggs
-frozen spinach 1 kg - 35 oz (you can use fresh spinach instead, the preparation will be longer but the taste will repay. I usually use the organic frozen ones that I think are a good compromise between taste, health and quick preparation)
-salt, ground pepper and ground nutmeg

*thaw frozen spinach in the microwave according to the instructions on the package, then squeeze them to remove the excess of water
*put the spinach, the ricotta cheese, the eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a mixer and mix for 30 seconds
*roll out the dough and place it in a pie dish (diameter 20 cm - 8")

*pour the filling on the dough; fold the flaps of dough over the borders of the filling.
*bake for about 30 minutes or until the dough is golden

While the tarte is baking, you'll begin to smell a delicious perfume which will inspire your presentation and....enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your site through your comment to mine! I love your table sculptures and can't wait to try some of your recipes. Thank you for sharing!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

This looks totally delicious!

Helene said...

Love the daisy napkin ring! The tart reminds me of one my mom used to make when we lived in Aix.