Sunday, June 1, 2008

Banana bread



Whenever I prepare the Banana bread, I remember the rainy year I spent working in Paris in a restoration studio of ancient paintings. There I met Karin, a French-Norwegian girl with whom I spent many late afternoons in Parisian cafes talking about cooking and recipes.
Unfortunately we are not anymore in touch; I think she is around the world, probably in India, her preferred country.

She introduced me to this recipe of her father (a chef); I have slightly modified it since it's almost impossible to resist to make any change!

This cake is truly fantastic accompanied with coffee because all its spicy aromas are highlighted; starting the day with a breakfast like this just puts me in a good mood!

I associated the banana bread to the napkin ring WEDDING HEARTS, since I think that both contain many details in their simplicity, they are delicate, and evoke something sweet.
WEDDING HEARTS is a napkin ring with the possibility to use it as a name holder too; it's made with copper wire. If you want to shop for them click here.

About presentation, its compact consistency is well suited for cutting into small pieces. Here I have chosen a colorful orange plate that incorporates the warm tones of the cake, decorated with a stick of cinnamon and a nutmeg and accompanied by a small bowl of natural yogurt.
You can try other presentations but avoid the dark colors, they will kill the cake and your breakfast too!

time for preparation: 20 minutes
time for baking: 50 minutes
per person: kcal 320


For 10 persons you will need :
-250 g (8 oz) of whole wheat flour
-50 g (1,7 oz) of raw sugar
-1 packet of baking powder (1 tablespoon)
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
-50 g (1,7 oz) of honey
-50 g (1,7 oz) of butter
-50 g (1,7 oz) of yogurt
-600 g ( 21 oz) of ripe bananas
-2 eggs
-100 g (3,5 oz) of grated almonds

*Preheat the oven to 200C (400 F)
*Beat together the honey, the butter, the yogurt, the eggs, and the mashed bananas
*Stir the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, the spices and add them to the other ingredients
*Mix well, add the grated almonds and put in a medium pan
*bake until the bread is firm and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
*Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

Now you are ready to cut it in small pieces and I suggest to serve it with a good coffee and some plain yogurt.

5 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love that you are using whole wheat flour in your recipe! Looks great!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Thanks for stopping in at the whistlestop cafe. I love your blog and your artsy designs. You have a fun way of including them into your posts.
I'll be back again... and again!

kellypea said...

The napkin rings are so lovely, and the recipe? Well. It's a bit challenging for me to pass up banana bread -- especially one like this. The honey sounds lovely.

PimientayChocolate said...

Hi Francesa! thanks for your visit, i understand english very well but I have some troubles writing.
you have a beautiful blog and delicius recipes, that banana bread looks fantastic.my english finish, volvere a visitarte, me ha gustado mucho tu blog, las gambas c
con miel pruebalas, quedan estupendas, un saludo, daniela

Jeannette QuiƱones said...

Hi, Franchesca
thanks for your visit!
If you have any questions tell Me,please. Sometimes the translation is very bad. But i understand english.